Ever since the 1950s, Gibson has been seen in the hands of countless famous guitar players. With that also comes not only an array of various models that stemmed from the collaboration between Gibson and these guitar players, but also plenty of legendary instruments. While a particular guitar is usually associated with just one guitar player, there’s one Les Paul that’s currently in the hands of its third famous owner.
Some years ago, Metallica’s Kirk Hammett acquired this fine Gibson Les Paul in 2014 which was previously owned by Peter Green and Gary Moore. The famous “Greeny” is now getting its Gibson Custom Shop replica in a newly announced limited run. Of course, the famous Murphy Lab is in the game as well, giving these guitars a genuine look to all of the tiniest details.
This deliberately “aged” model will have no more than 50 guitars in the entire run. For now, there’s no official price listed on Gibson’s official website. However, we do know that it will be available through the Gibson Garage only.
The original ’59 Les Paul was used by Peter Green in Fleetwood Mac, as well as in John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers. Its most famous feature is the out-of-phase polarity which gave it that “hollow” kind of tone.
Gibson further explains that “Custom Shop and Murphy Lab teams worked tirelessly to make an exacting replica of the original Greeny down to the finest detail, including the iconic sound for which the guitar is so well known.” So these copies aren’t just “skin-deep” so to speak but also reflect on these sonic traits. For this purpose, Gibson worked in close collaboration with Kirk Hammett to fully replicate the instrument.
Although there’s no price so far, though we are fairly certain that it won’t be cheap at all, the company shared that these items will be included in the package:
- Custom Stenciled Hardshell Case
- Custom Pick Tin with Six Jim Dunlop® Kirk Hammett Jazz III picks (Three Green, Three Purple)
- Custom Kirk Hammett Black Leather Strap
- Certificate of Authenticity with a Signed Photo of Kirk Hammett by Photographer Ross Halfin
But that’s not all, there’s also “the experience of a lifetime” that includes the guitar, as well as an evening with Kirk Hammett and “a visit to Gibson’s World Headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee.” The full list of the package is as follows:
- Gibson Custom Shop Collector’s Edition Kirk Hammett “Greeny” 1959 Les Paul Standard
- One-of-a-kind evening with Kirk Hammett
- Curated dinner at Nashville’s exclusive Soho House
- Private welcome reception with Gibson’s leadership team
- Exclusive backstage tour of Nashville’s premier guitar experience, the Gibson Garage, culminating with a tour of the Gibson Vault, the home of some of music history’s most coveted guitars
- A commemorative gift collection from the Gibson Garage
- Visit the Custom Shop and meet pioneering Master Luthier Tom Murphy, who, along with his team, artfully aged each Collector’s Edition guitar
- First-class round-trip airfare for two to Nashville
- One room overnight accommodation at the Four Seasons Hotel in Nashville
- Certificate of Authenticity with a photo signed by Kirk Hammett
According to Gibson, these guitars will be available starting November 12, 2022. For more info, visit the company’s website here.